Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sad book worms

As I've mentioned before, Cole and I started reading the Harry Potter books. I love them passionately, and Cole got completely hooked on the series as well.
The first book is so much fun, getting introduced to the wizarding world.

Second book is another great adventure, light and fun.

Third book, super thrilling, more intense

Fourth book is many readers' favorite. But this is where Cole and I ran into some trouble, around page 700 or so. A death. When I read the words to him, "(blank)was dead", he was in shock for about 10 seconds, and then began to cry. He said he was done with Harry Potter. And that was it.
Luckily, part of him missed the nightly ritual of reading HP and after a week he needed another dose of it. And we did only have a few chapters left after all. So we were able to finish the fourth book with some mixed feelings from Cole. But I think he had mostly positive feelings about the book by the time we finished.

Although book five is available to him, he has opted to take a breather. I thought the novelization of Toy Story 3 would be a nice light read. But I was blind sided. I wasn't expecting to have an emotional reaction to this book, but I read the last chapter to Cole mostly through tears. And when I got to this line,

"But Woody knew that the most special part was that it was the last time he'd ever get to play with Andy",

I had to have Clay come and take over reading because I couldn't even choke out the words. We're a bunch of crazies over here huh?

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Don't worry Amy, I think all girls get emotional over things like that every now and then. :) You're so great to read so much to him. No wonder he is so smart. :)