Thursday, April 9, 2009

Luke's 1st Birthday

Luke and cousin Connor had their first birthday party. These prince crowns were the inspiration for the event.

Our budget was small, of course, so we had fun doing "home-made" decorations.

Tip: Clay had the great idea of using wrapping paper for the paintings instead of butcher paper. (Butcher paper only comes in gigantic rolls that cost $50-$60. I have since found small rolls of "banner paper" at Walmart that work great too.)
The smaller guests needed crowns to wear too.
A very inexpensive activity: face-painting! Luckily, the kids requested very simple things, like a heart on the forehead.

Here's Connor, then Luke, "slaying the dragon".


The dragon meets its doom. (This is my little bro. Mikey.)



My original plan was to make a castle cake. I had never attempted one before but the directions I had seemed pretty fool-proof. The castle didn't make it, and I ended up with just one 8x8 rainbow cake. So...we cut the little cake that was left into two little crowns for each of the boys to dive in to. (We had grasshopper pies for everyone else.)

Before

After

We wrapped things up (or rather unwrapped things, hehe) with opening presents. Luke would like to thank all of you for the wonderful gifts, especially the new clothes that he needed so desperately. Cole chose Luke's gift from us, 2 bettas. Hopefully I can keep up with our growing number of pets!

4 comments:

Megan Lindsey said...

Oh my goodness, what talent!! The decorations looked awesome and of course those are two of the most handsome little princes I have ever seen. Happy Birthday Lukey and Connor!!

Sara said...

Wow! Happy 1st Lukey. Amy the decorations are incredible. Why have you been hiding your talents? Where do you find all the time?

Anonymous said...

Amy, you are the most creative girl in the universe!! I had so much fun at the birthday party! I felt like I was at a carnival!! So did all the kids that were there!! Amy is the best!!!

I Love You,
Mommy

Clark and Liesel said...

Wow! What a fun creative party idea! I love it! Looks like you guys have had quite the birthday celebrations lately! Wish we lived closer to tell you in person that we love you Luke! Happy be-lated birthday!