Friday, June 26, 2009

Life is like


A few weeks ago, we went with a friend from the ward and her two boys to California Adventure. It was a lot of fun, of coarse. One of the best parts of California Adventure is the Live Playhouse Disney show. It features Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Handy Manny, My Friends Tigger and Pooh, and Little Einstiens. Now I ask you, does it get any better than that? Even Luke sat attentively for the entire show.

Cole and I have had a couple fun (short) trips to Legoland too. My sister received a tip from someone in her ward that Legoland is FREE for the last hour every day. FREE! Free parking, free admission, everything! At first I wondered if this was really on the up and up because when we went to check it out, there was just nobody there manning the parking booths or the ticket counters, so I thought to myself, "Are we really supposed to be doing this" as we breezed right through the park gates. But I have since found that it is a legitimate thing to do--the legoland people know about it and everything;) But before everyone rushes over to legoland, this free thing doesn't apply during the summer. Go figure. It was fun while it lasted. Cole and I managed to squeeze in 3 rides each time we visited, which was well worth the short drive there, and was an extraordinary way to pass the time as it sure beats riding the carousel at the mall for the millionth time.

Well, as we were waiting in line for one particular ride, I began thinking about all the theme park adventures we've had lately, and all the LONG lines we have waited in. I wondered what the ratio was of time spent on an actual ride to time spent waiting in line. Waiting...it makes me think of those lines from Dr. Suess:

"Waiting for a train to go
or a bus to come, or a plane to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go,
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or waiting around for a Yes or No
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting."

There is so much waiting in line at theme parks, and yet everyone is perfectly willing to do it, including you. You stand there, waiting for your turn, shifting your weight occasionally from your right foot to the left. No one seems to be moving, when you randomly gaze ahead toward the front of the line and see the lucky folks up there walking, taking a few steps forward and then you watch the ripple effect of their walking slowly trickle down to you. Now you're walking too and it feels so good to be moving forward, closer to that bend in the ropes that leads down that path and up those steps and through that windy tunnel and finally to the ride. "No, this line's not so bad" you think to yourself. "And look at all the people behind me. Ooooh, I'm glad I'm not them. I'm in a much better position than they are." It's funny how I always find myself thinking that. That somehow I was smarter or faster or more stategic than the throng of people behind me in line. Of coarse, the only reason the person behind me is behind me is because they were still enjoying the last few seconds of a ride while I was just starting to head to this one.

By the time it's your turn, you are ready! "This is it", you think "this is what it's all about. I've watched about 576 people get onto and off of this ride and now my time has come!" And the ride is wonderful and thrilling and...short.

So to sound very, very cliche, life is full of roller coasters, or to be more precise, life is full of various theme park attractions and the lines that come with them.

So many experiences can seem long, and hard, and even a bit boring, but just wait, that heart pounding, stomach flying into your chest feeling is around the bend somewhere.

Wow, give yourself a pat on the back if you read all of this!!!

2 comments:

Tom and Megan said...

Aww, lovely post Miss Amy. That's cool that Legoland does that!! When Tom and I went to D-land on my birthday we were able to go on only 4 rides in 5 hours!! So I would say we were in line for about 4 and a half hours. :P 3 rides per hour is excellent!! Miss you!!

Anonymous said...

Amy, this is so profound!! You are an amazing philosipher!! We may as well stick around for the next fun ride!!
I love you,
Mom