Sunday, June 28, 2009

In Praise of CLAY!!!!

Another Father's Day has come and gone so I must write about my dearest, dearest love, Clay, before another Sunday passes.

Writing about Clay is hard though. The expanse of thoughts and feelings I have about him overwhelms me. It's like those new commercials they have for the search engine bing where it asks, "What has search overload done to us?" I think the name "Clay" and my mind reels off "Clay: Clay is wonderful, Clay is amazing, Clay is perfect, Clay is handsome, Clay is brilliant, Clay is passionate, Clay is ambitious, good student, good father, good provider..." etc. at turbo speed.

So perhaps for this post I will just focus on one quality. Oh, first I need a quote. Here it goes:

"Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not; it is the first lesson that ought to be learned; and however early a man's training begins, it is probably the last lesson that he learns thoroughly."
Thomas H. Huxley
English biologist (1825 - 1895)

For those of you who don't know, Clay's dad LOVE's this quote and taught it to his 9 sons however many years ago. I don't particularly enjoy this quote, eventhough I believe it with every fiber of my being. I guess the truth can be hard for some people.

Clay on the other hand embraces it. It is his philosophy, his core, his way of life; to do that which must be done, whether or not it's fun, whether or not it's popular, whether or not he's sleepy, whether or not it totally (for lack of a better word) stinks! I want to be just like him!

Clay is so determined. This last year has been his busiest ever as a full-time student and full-time intern. Yet he has never complained or huffed or puffed or humphed or ugged or sighed while saying "uhhhh" or even yawned. He just does what he has to do, and does it with his handsome smile. When he has a rare moment of free time, he devotes it entirely to his little family.

I love you Clay! Thanks for being an incredible father!

No comments: