Sunday, May 10, 2009

Steel Magnolias and Mom


I never really noticed magnolias before we moved to New Orleans. When I did notice them, I thought of Alice in Wonderland, when the Queen of Hearts has the playing cards paint the white roses red. I guess the image of painting the big, white magnolias red was kind of a fun thought at the time. But then, they are so beautiful in plain white. In New Orleans, they seemed such a contrast to what was going on beneath the magnolia tree tops; the squalor, the filth, the hoodlums walking by (of course, I judged nearly everyone I saw to be a hoodlum.) But don't get me wrong, New Orleans has more going for it than just pretty flowers.
Where we live now, Magnolia trees line many of the streets. I love them.
I can't write about magnolias without mentioning the movie "Steel Magnolias". I love that movie too. So what does that title mean? Steel is hard and strong and sturdy. Magnolias are a pretty flower. So loosely it means "a strong, pretty thing"?

Strong and pretty.

My mom. She is the most beautiful woman in the world. And strong? You better believe it! She's a steel magnolia, right along with Sally Field and Daryl Hannah. Happy Mother's Day, Momma! I love you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Amy, Thank you for such a wonderful "tribute" to me!! I am so blessed to have you as my daughter!! You can write so beautifully!! You are so talented, and I love you sooooooooo much!!
Mom

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I love the magnolia trees, too, especially by moonlight. :)