Saturday, September 19, 2009

Run, Run as fast as you can...thank GOODNESS for the Gingerbread Man!


As you will recall, the first couple days of kindergarten were a little shakey for Cole. We were both suffering with separation anxiety (not that I let him know that) and I found myself wishing that I could turn back the clock to when times were simpler...ahhh, when there wasn't school or responsibilities or 5-year-old social pressures, just me and my two little companions, free as birds.

Yes, by day 3 of school I was officially not a fan of kindergarten. Can't we all just stay at home and play?

However, day 3 of school was a major turning point for Cole and his future as a student. And I owe it all to the gingerbread man. When I picked him up that afternoon he said, "Mommy, this was the best day of school ever!" His class had done the classic gingerbread man activity where the teacher reads them the story, the gingerbread man steals their gingerbread cookies, they go searching all over campus for the missing cookies (meanwhile getting a tour of the school) and they finally find the gingerbread man back in their classroom and get to enjoy their cookies. I'm sure most kindergartners experience some variation of this activity.

Since then, Cole has been doing so much better. There's no sadness, no anxiety, just good kindergarten fun. Thank goodness!

No comments: