Sunday, May 16, 2010

M.ission P.hinally A.ccomplished

Clay's graduation was on Friday!!!! He received his second master's and is now officially a Master of Public Administration (MPA). One word keeps going through my mind...

Hallelujah!!!!! I am so happy that he is done with school and that this chapter of our lives can come to a blessed end.

There's the obvious reason for exclaiming "hallelujah" at a time like this: for the first time in almost seven years of marriage, he doesn't have to study.

Then there's the other reason, the main reason: I was beyond devastated, beyond depressed, at the death of Clay's career as an anthropologist. I felt broken when it happened, and I saw no way of ever feeling happy again. Our's was such a sad story. I went on this way, for about 6 months.

It was then that Clay decided city government was his new career goal. He applied to SC and soon had a scholarship in his hands. It was like Heavenly Father had just put a huge band-aid on our family. The pain in my heart lessened more and more every day. And now that Clay has graduated, I'm not broken anymore. Heavenly Father has saved me from despair. Hallelujah to Him, for making everything "all better".

Here's Clay getting his diploma from the dean.


I loved the hoods that the graduates wore. I told Clay I had to get a picture of his hood.

Me and Clay after the ceremony.

Clay with his good buddy Brian.

On Thursday, Clay was invited to an awards ceremony. Here he is receiving the Dr. Tang award. This is what his pretty plaque says,
"In the spirit of commitment, enthusiasm and achievement as personified by Dr. Shui Yan Tang, this recognition is awarded annually to a Master of Public Administration student that best exemplifies and promotes academic excellence, service to SPPD beyond the classroom, involvement in the Public Administration profession, excellence in public employment, and the advancement of professional development."

We were so happy to have Clay's parents come visit for a couple days to be part of the ceremonies. Suzanne even ironed Clay's robes for him. And Cole was thrilled about having a sleepover with Grandma and Grandpa.

Congratulations, Clay!

6 comments:

Clark and Liesel said...

Hooray!! Congatulations. What a relief to be done! That is so great. Being in school is a big task for the whole family- not just the one who studies and takes tests. So, way to go Clay, Amy, Cole and Luke! Amy, I admire you a lot. You are a wonderful wife and mother. I love the picture of the two of you after graduation- you look stunning and are so photogenic. I can't wait for Clark to graduate this week!

Clark and Liesel said...

And congrats on the special award! You totally deserve it Clay!

Rebecca said...

Way to Go! Yipee! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congrats - to all of you! -Kaelyn

Breanne said...

Congrats Clay! And congrats to you as well Amy for being a awesome mommy and wife thru it all. I know how hard it is, here's to the end of studying!!

Suzanne said...

You should receive an honorary degree for patience. Hopefully, you lives will be a little more relaxed with school finally over!!!